In 1880, Calvin Carr opened a livery stable in this building to provide livery services for horses and buggies. The solid brick vernacular architecture was common for a horse stable. The building was twice as large as it currently exists with a wing on Portland St. and another on Division St.
The name 18 Hands Ale Haus was coined after the tavern's history. The former livery stable was built in 1880 on 18 E. Division St. Additionally, 18 hands is the measurement of a large horse, and with that, we arrived at 18 Hands Ale Haus.